8.11.2010

What's Your Water Footprint?

Let's start with some water facts.

Did you know that less than one percent of all the water on Earth is fresh water available for human consumption? [Source: The Water Information Project]

How about that the average American uses 176 gallons of water per day (compared to 5 gallons of water the average African family uses each day) [Source: Water.org]

And how about this one: Only 5 percent of the water we use comes from toilets, faucets, and garden hoses. The other 95 percent isn't as easy to track because it comes from the food we eat, the energy we use, the products we buy, and the services we rely on. [Source: National Geographic]

Those general stats and facts are useful, but if you're like me you want to know how much water you actually use, so you can begin to identify ways to consume less of it.

That's why I'm excited about the new Water Footprint Calculator from National Geographic, which helps you find out your own water footprint and provides information and ideas on slashing water use. According to the calculator, I come in just under the average at 1,877 gallons. I might argue a few options are missing--for instance, although I don't have a new toilet, I do have a bottle in the tank to displace water. And nowhere does it ask if I water my yard with a rain barrel as opposed to the traditional spigot (I do).

But overall, it's eye opening to think about just how much water my commute to work each day or my travels to visit friends and family by plane costs in terms of water. And I'm reminded yet again of the benefits of eating a bit less meat.

Try it yourself, then be sure to peruse the tips included on the site for reducing your water footprint.

And while you're at it, check out the water footprint calculator at waterfootprint.org too. It might require a bit more contemplation on your part, but I think it's worth spending some time thinking about your consumption habits, don't you?

Photo: gehat via Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment